Prepare to be thrilled and chilled as you step into the eerie atmosphere of this legendary haunted location. Embark on a spine-tingling adventure through the shadowy corridors and hidden corners of the castle, where ghostly legends come to life.
Self Guided and Guided Public Tours: April – Aug 2023
Step into history and embark on a journey through time
Public Self-Guided Tours of Preston Castle will be available the first and third Saturdays of each month April through August.
2024 Self-Guided and Guided Public Tour dates and times TBA.
- Self-Guided Tour
- All Ages
- Under 5 years of age
- Guided Tour
- Under 5 years of age
Join us on this remarkable adventure and unlock the secrets of Preston Castle
Preston Castle, located in Ione, California, is a historic castle built in 1894 as a reform school for boys. Today, The Preston Castle Foundation serves to preserve & restore the Castle. To that end, we offer self-guided and guided tours providing visitors a unique opportunity to explore the castle’s fascinating history and architecture.
Public self-guided tours are offered on frequent Saturdays from April through August. You will have access to the first floor, second floor and basement and learn about the history of the Preston School of Industry. Docents will be available to answer questions and guide participants through the Castle.
For public guided tours, you are invited to take an interesting and informative historical tour of Preston Castle. You will be guided by a trained docent through the first floor, second floor and basement and learn about the history of the Preston School of Industry. Also available is a closed-captioned Virtual Tour for our mobility restricted guests which will take place on the accessible ground floor (basement) of the Castle.
Explore the Castle’s many rooms and learn about its past occupants, as well as the changes that have occurred over the years. The Castle is filled with interesting stories and historical artifacts, making it a must-see attraction for history buffs and anyone interested in California’s past.
Preston Castle is also a marvel of architectural design. The castle was built in the Romanesque Revival style. Explore the castle at your own pace and take in all of its stunning details.
Whether you’re a local or visiting California for the first time, a self-guided tour of Preston Castle is a great way to spend an afternoon and learn more about this fascinating piece of California history.
- For self-guided tours, please arrive at the Castle within the ½ hour time slot to start your tour.
- For guided tours, please arrive 20 minutes before your tour time.
- Participants should allow an hour and a half for the tour, which includes access to the museum, safety and history video, and tour of the Castle.
- Once tour begins participants will follow a one way path through the Castle.
- Groups will need to stay together.
- Cameras are allowed, but please no tripods.
- Self-Guided Tours are historic oriented. Out of respect for all our guests we strongly discourage spirit hunting and the use of such equipment including apps on cell phones. We have special tours focused on paranormal activity available on our website.
- Participants will conclude their tour in the gift shop area and once they exit the gift shop they will not be allowed to return to the Castle.
- Tickets may be purchased online or at the gate.
- Tickets are non-refundable.